School Custodian/Maintenance Worker
The Board of Education is seeking a full time, year round custodian/maintenance worker who will be responsible for the cleaning, maintenance, safety, security and physical condition of the school facility and grounds. The position requires the employee to reside on Fishers Island (affordable school housing available.)
The successful candidate will design and implement a comprehensive program of services that result in clean and well-maintained facilities, grounds, equipment, and furnishings of the school so that all students, staff and community are assured of clean, safe, attractive, functional and healthy places in which to learn and work. Position open effective July 1, 2017.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, job application, three letters of reference, and any transcripts/training documentation to email@example.com by April 14, 2017.
Qualifications: The School Custodian/Maintenance Worker shall:
- Have at least five years of successful experience in a related field with strong attendance record.
- Possess strong working knowledge of best practices for facility cleaning and proactive building maintenance.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and experience in trades including carpentry, glazier, plumbing, painting, grounds maintenance, and safety/security/sanitation required to complete basic maintenance and repairs.
- Demonstrate knowledge/ability to appropriately and safely use district equipment and tools.
- Possess the ability to follow directions and be flexible to changes in the daily routine.
- Hold and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- Demonstrate excellent integrity, good moral character, and strong work ethic
- Is a self-motivated individual who identifies what needs to be done and completes it in a timely and effective manner.
- Exhibit interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration/Board, parents, outside vendors/contractors, and community members.
- Demonstrate an ability to read and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate the ability to use a computer and mobile device for work-related research and communication.
- Maintain a neat, clean, personable image when performing the duties of the position.
- Successfully pass all necessary pre-employment checks to ensure the safety/security of the school community.
- Hold a high school diploma or equivalent; some college or post-secondary training in related field(s) preferred.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
As assessed by the school principal, the school custodian/maintenance worker will:
- Schedule and complete school cleaning and facility and outdoor (mowing, raking, snow blowing/shoveling) maintenance programs in a high quality and timely manner.
- Continuously and actively maintain and improve the external and internal image of the school.
- Conduct and record results of regular building and grounds safety inspections and immediately notify the school principal of safety concerns.
- Deliver outgoing and incoming freight to/from Ferry District shipping office.
- Review, schedule and complete work orders from administration and staff to make repairs in a timely and effective manner.
- Contact vendors and obtain written quotes/bids as required by district purchasing policy.
- Competently prepare and submit for approval itemized budgets for building and grounds cleaning and maintenance operations.
- Appropriately requisition approved expenditures for cleaning and maintenance supplies and equipment.
- Keep accurate records of materials ordered or on hand and proactively communicate material needs to the purchasing agent.
- Work with the purchasing agent and business manager to estimate project costs and seek quotes and bids as determined by district purchasing policies.
- Work closely with the business office to itemize budget needs for building and grounds cleaning and maintenance operations and help to develop specifications for future facility/grounds capital improvement projects.
- Consult with administration, contractors, and architects regarding renovation/building projects and assist in monitoring them to ensure they have been effectively conducted as specified.
- Develop and implement a written preventative maintenance program.
- Work closely with administration to effectively initiate and implement recycling and energy conservation programs.
- Maintain organized records and files of facility-related reports and documents including drawings, engineering records, facility studies, renovation projects, and required material data sheets
- Complete other duties as assigned by the school administration.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive:
- Significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling
- Occasional heavy work exerting 100 lbs. of force, frequent exertion of 20-50 lbs. to move objects
- Some climbing and balancing
- Significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling
- Significant fine finger dexterity
- Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 50% walking and 45% standing.
- The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under some hazardous conditions.
Terms of Employment:
- Salary commensurate with candidate’s skills/experience, in accordance with district’s approved plan
-Affordable year-round housing on Fishers Island
-Benefits including retirement pension, excellent health insurance, vacation, sick, and personal time as detailed in district’s articulated agreement for classified staff and in accordance with NY Civil Service regulations.